Director, Physical Plant
Company: University of Louisiana at Monroe
Posted on: February 9, 2020
The Director of the Physical Plant reports to the Vice President
for Business Affairs and is responsible for the university
custodial, maintenance, renovation and grounds programs, which
include all utility services on a university campus with over 2.4
million square feet of space located in sixty buildings spaced on
238 acres of landscaped grounds. The director is also responsible
for an auto services department that schedules and maintains
approximately sixty cars and light trucks and two buses.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advises the Vice President for Business Affairs regarding all
Physical Plant matters.
- Work closely with the Director of Facilities and EHS in the
design and implementation of major systems, which will require
- Prepares annual budgets. Monitors and adjusts scheduled work in
order to comply with approved budgets throughout the fiscal
- Supervise, plan and implement a comprehensive preventive
maintenance program for the entire Physical Plant. The program
covers the vehicles, structures, climate control equipment, grounds
and all facets of operations and maintenance necessary to extend
the life of university real property facilities and to ensure the
continued operation of these facilities.
- Provide, maintain and review electronic maintenance work order
system. Visit periodically the approval methods for submitted work
- Prepares plans and specifications for specific projects to be
completed by outside contractors. Inspects and approves
- Review inventory levels periodically in the warehouse to
provide proper material supplies, review internal controls, policy
- Review motor pool policy and procedures regularly.
- Prepares cost studies, economic analyses and statistical
- Monitors a departmental safety program. Coordinates with the
university EHS Officer and Office of Risk Management on matters of
inspection, accident investigation, and other necessary
- Establish, review, and adjust as necessary departmental
organizational charts. Coordinate with Human Resources to maintain
- Annually evaluates the performance of directly supervised
subordinates and reviews and approves evaluation of lower level
- Bachelor's degree preferred or minimum of five years'
management experience in Physical Plant operations or related
field. Higher education experience preferred.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and direct the overall operation
and maintenance of the Physical Plant.
- Excellent customer service skills and interpersonal skills.
Work is performed indoors in an office setting and outdoors, which
could lead to extreme temperatures and loud noises. May be required
to work after hours as needed.
Moderate walking, standing, climbing, lifting, carrying, stooping,
bending, kneeling, and reaching.
- Assistant Director
- Assistant Director of Grounds and Beautification
- Office Manager
- Custodian Manager
- Electrician Specialist Foreman
- HVAC Control Tech Foreman
- Carpenter Foreman
- Plumber/Pipefitter Foreman
Keywords: University of Louisiana at Monroe, Monroe , Director, Physical Plant, Executive , Monroe, Louisiana
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!